Approval for spending money on 2018 cloud sprint please!
Steve McIntyre
2018-09-12 21:09:12 UTC
Hi Chris,

We've started organising the 2018 Cloud Sprint. We're looking at a
location in Seattle again, hosted this year by Amazon. See

https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2018/DebianCloudOct2018

for more details as they're happening.

A few people are lucky enough to have costs covered by employers, but
not everybody. 6 people have asked to have Debian cover their costs
for travel and accommodation. See the attached spreadsheet for more
details. I'm asking for a total cost here of *approximately* 9500
USD. That assumes that we're going to share rooms where possible.

I hope that's acceptable. Of course, we commit to reporting on what's
achieved during the meeting.
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead
Steve McIntyre
2018-09-12 21:11:18 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Hi Chris,
We've started organising the 2018 Cloud Sprint. We're looking at a
location in Seattle again, hosted this year by Amazon. See
https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2018/DebianCloudOct2018
for more details as they're happening.
A few people are lucky enough to have costs covered by employers, but
not everybody. 6 people have asked to have Debian cover their costs
for travel and accommodation. See the attached spreadsheet for more
details. I'm asking for a total cost here of *approximately* 9500
USD. That assumes that we're going to share rooms where possible.
Gah. Here's the spreadsheet...
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Chris Lamb
2018-09-13 07:44:36 UTC
Hi Steve et al.,
Post by Steve McIntyre
We've started organising the 2018 Cloud Sprint. We're looking at a
location in Seattle again, hosted this year by Amazon. See
[…]
Post by Steve McIntyre
I'm asking for a total cost here of *approximately* 9500 USD
Thanks for putting this together as well as putting that spreadsheet
together -- it makes it very easy to see what's going on.

To save a potential back-and-forth, I hereby approve up to 10000 USD so
you have a bit of wiggle room.

Best wishes,

- --
,''`.
: :' : Chris Lamb
`. `'` ***@debian.org / chris-lamb.co.uk
`-
Steve McIntyre
2018-09-13 22:49:31 UTC
Hi Steve et al.,
Post by Steve McIntyre
I'm asking for a total cost here of *approximately* 9500 USD
Thanks for putting this together as well as putting that spreadsheet
together -- it makes it very easy to see what's going on.
To save a potential back-and-forth, I hereby approve up to 10000 USD so
you have a bit of wiggle room.
Thanks Chris!

To the rest of you - please go ahead and book travel if you haven't
already. Next, let's work out what rooms we need and who's sharing.

I'm struggling for network while travelling Canada at the moment, so
I'll get onto that at the weekend...
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
You lock the door
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Thomas Goirand
2018-09-14 06:45:13 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Hi Steve et al.,
Post by Steve McIntyre
I'm asking for a total cost here of *approximately* 9500 USD
Thanks for putting this together as well as putting that spreadsheet
together -- it makes it very easy to see what's going on.
To save a potential back-and-forth, I hereby approve up to 10000 USD so
you have a bit of wiggle room.
Thanks Chris!
To the rest of you - please go ahead and book travel if you haven't
already. Next, let's work out what rooms we need and who's sharing.
I'm struggling for network while travelling Canada at the moment, so
I'll get onto that at the weekend...
Please enjoy your holidays and do that later. There's plenty of time
remaining.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)
Steve McIntyre
2018-09-27 01:56:11 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
To the rest of you - please go ahead and book travel if you haven't
already. Next, let's work out what rooms we need and who's sharing.
I'm struggling for network while travelling Canada at the moment, so
I'll get onto that at the weekend...
Sorry, took much longer than planned to get back to this... :-(

We have the following people wanting to stay at the Holiday Inn
Express, TTBOMK:

Name ARR DEP Booked?
Steve McIntyre Sat Thu Yes - corporate travel
Martin Zobel-Helas Sun? Thu? Yes - corporate travel
Lucas Kanashiro Sun? Thu? No? - ???

Jimmy Kaplowitz Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Luca Filipozzi Sun Wed? No - Debian group
Tomasz Rybak Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Thomas Lange Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Helen Koike Sun Thu? No - Debian group
Thomas Goirand Sat Wed No - Debian group

That's my best *guess* at the setup we have at the moment. If you're
in the list here, please respond and confirm with the days you're
needing accommodation for and whether or not you already have a room
booking. I'm thinking that we're going to need 4 rooms to cover the
Debian-sponsored group:

1. Sun-Thu (Jimmy and Luca sharing)
2. Sat-Wed (Thomas Goirand)
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
4. Sun-Thu (Helen)

Does that work for everybody? We'll need to double-check on rooms
bookings (can we share in all the rooms?) and maybe change the names
attached to some of them.

Also: Lucas also wants to join us at the same hotel, but I';m not sure
who's paying for him - Collabora?

Sorry for keeping you all hanging for a few days. Let's try and get
this finished off...
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll
Thomas Lange
2018-09-27 06:52:06 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
1. Sun-Thu (Jimmy and Luca sharing)
2. Sat-Wed (Thomas Goirand)
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
4. Sun-Thu (Helen)
I've booked a room with 1 King bed. If I share with Tomaz, I need to
change it to a double bed room. IIRC Tomaz also had booked a room
already.

@Tomaz: Is this right?
regards Thomas
Bastian Blank
2018-09-27 07:39:26 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Name ARR DEP Booked?
Bastian Blank Fri Fri Yes - corporate travel

Regards,
Bastian
--
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1
Lucas Kanashiro
2018-09-27 09:42:40 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
We have the following people wanting to stay at the Holiday Inn
Name ARR DEP Booked?
Steve McIntyre Sat Thu Yes - corporate travel
Martin Zobel-Helas Sun? Thu? Yes - corporate travel
Lucas Kanashiro Sun? Thu? No? - ???
Lucas Kanashiro Sun Fri WIP - corporate travel
Post by Steve McIntyre
Also: Lucas also wants to join us at the same hotel, but I';m not sure
who's paying for him - Collabora?
It'd be great if I can join you and FYI Collabora is paying.

Best regards,
--
Lucas Kanashiro
Collabora Ltd.
Tomasz Rybak
2018-09-27 21:06:54 UTC
On Thu, 2018-09-27 at 02:56 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
[ cut ]
Post by Steve McIntyre
Tomasz Rybak Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Sat -> Sat, booked and paid (at least they took money
Post by Steve McIntyre
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
I'm happy to share, although I have King Bed - but I guess
that we can switch it to double beds.
--
Tomasz Rybak, Debian Developer <***@debian.org>
GPG: A565 CE64 F866 A258 4DDC F9C7 ECB7 3E37 E887 AA8C
Thomas Lange
2018-09-27 23:15:11 UTC
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
I'm happy to share, although I have King Bed - but I guess
that we can switch it to double beds.
So what's the best way to change our bookings? I do not know how to
handle this and I'm not sure what my cancellation policy really
means.
regards Thomas
Tomasz Rybak
2018-09-28 07:58:26 UTC
Post by Thomas Lange
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 23:06:54 +0200, Tomasz Rybak <
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
I'm happy to share, although I have King Bed - but I guess
that we can switch it to double beds.
So what's the best way to change our bookings? I do not know how to
handle this and I'm not sure what my cancellation policy really
means.
You need to check if your reservation allows for cancelations
and under which conditions (i.e. 1 week in advance, 48-hours, or so on).
If not then I guess sharing is out?
Also check (depeding how you paid) whether hotel already hasn't
taken part of money (as guarantee for example, or for 1st night).
Then, depending on this we can decide what to do next.
Steve McIntyre
2018-09-28 08:25:59 UTC
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Thomas Lange
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 23:06:54 +0200, Tomasz Rybak <
3. Sun-Thu (Thomas Lange and Tomasz sharing)
I'm happy to share, although I have King Bed - but I guess
that we can switch it to double beds.
So what's the best way to change our bookings? I do not know how to
handle this and I'm not sure what my cancellation policy really
means.
You need to check if your reservation allows for cancelations
and under which conditions (i.e. 1 week in advance, 48-hours, or so on).
If not then I guess sharing is out?
Also check (depeding how you paid) whether hotel already hasn't
taken part of money (as guarantee for example, or for 1st night).
Then, depending on this we can decide what to do next.
Changing a name on a booking, or tweaking the room you've booked,
shouldn't be a problem so long as there are still rooms
available. You're not actually cancelling, after all. Talk to the
people/website you've booked with, and ask to change. Shouldn't be hard...
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.
Tomasz Rybak
2018-09-30 20:23:19 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Thomas Lange
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
[...]
I called the hotel and they told me that they are fully booked
for that week. So it looks like we're left with the current state
of reservarions.
Thomas Goirand
2018-10-01 06:49:04 UTC
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Thomas Lange
Post by Tomasz Rybak
Post by Steve McIntyre
[...]
Outch !

I should have called earlier. Is there enough room for everyone, or
should I search elsewhere?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)
Thomas Lange
2018-10-01 07:06:31 UTC
Post by Tomasz Rybak
I called the hotel and they told me that they are fully booked
for that week. So it looks like we're left with the current state
of reservarions.
And I've got no answer at all after sending them two emails.
regards Thomas
Helen Koike
2018-10-01 20:50:19 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Steve McIntyre
To the rest of you - please go ahead and book travel if you haven't
already. Next, let's work out what rooms we need and who's sharing.
I'm struggling for network while travelling Canada at the moment, so
I'll get onto that at the weekend...
Sorry, took much longer than planned to get back to this... :-(
We have the following people wanting to stay at the Holiday Inn
Name ARR DEP Booked?
Steve McIntyre Sat Thu Yes - corporate travel
Martin Zobel-Helas Sun? Thu? Yes - corporate travel
Lucas Kanashiro Sun? Thu? No? - ???
Jimmy Kaplowitz Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Luca Filipozzi Sun Wed? No - Debian group
Tomasz Rybak Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Thomas Lange Sun Thu Yes - Debian group
Helen Koike Sun Thu? No - Debian group
I got a bit confused. Should I book it? Or is it pre-reserved or something?
this finished off...
Steve McIntyre
< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"
Steve McIntyre
2018-10-03 14:28:42 UTC
sorry about that one - total mutt fail... :-)
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Steve McIntyre
[...]
< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"
Thomas Goirand
2018-10-03 19:34:53 UTC
Post by Steve McIntyre
Post by Steve McIntyre
[...]
FYI, I was able to book for the nights of the 6th and 8th at the Holiday
Inn, but it was full for the 7th and 9th. So I booked for the 2 other
nights at the best western nearby, at 200 taylor av. north. That's only
3 small blocks away. The best western was also 50 USD cheaper.

It's a bit messy, but I don't really mind changing hotel every night, I
usually travel very light anyways, especially for such a short period of
time.

Looking forward to see you guys,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)